John's Reviews > Little Dorrit: Part 1

Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

May 04, 08

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in May, 2008

Free at last, Free at last! Not really, but nearly two months and 32 listening hours later, I can move on!
Now I'm a fan of Victorian Lit, and have enjoyed many Dickens adventures, but this one I'd rate as suitable for hard-core fans only. It's dated, with the premise of debtors' prisons and the Circumlocution Office. Yes, we have red tape today, but also Freedom of Information Acts, etc. I just couldn't relate to the circumstances here. As for the writing itself, the subplots seemed to be going nowhere except to serve as serialization fodder (word count). By the middle, I feared the ending would be hurriedly wrapped up; indeed - that turned out to be so true that I swear I missed some points by not paying the strictest of attention every single minute to the audio.
Bottom line: I found it a less interesting/exciting/compelling version of Our Mutual Friend. Those who haven't read (much) Dickens, or are trying this one to "give him another chance" likely won't finish the book ... and I wouldn't blame them.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Dorrit.