Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > Priestess of the White

Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan

Mar 31, 09

bookshelves: 3-stars, 2009, fantasy, owned-physical-book, arc
Read in March, 2009

I was a bit disappointed by this book at first. I had LOVED The Black Magician trilogy, and was sad to see that this book couldn't quite live up to the first in that series. It was obviously aimed at a younger audience (at least the beginning was - it did get significantly darker near the end) and the characters didn't seem nearly as complex. Still, it was good enough to keep me entertained through all 672 pages and I would in no way "dis-recommend" it... I'd just tell people to read the other trilogy instead, if they hadn't already.

Like in "Black Magician" Trudi Canavan manages to keep track of an impressively large number of characters, and though the focus keeps shifting from one to the other, she keeps all plot lines equally interesting, so that one doesn't mind abandoning one major character for another. Usually I prefer sticking to just one or two viewpoints, but it actually worked really well here. I was especially fascinated by the people of Si and Elai and hope we get to hear more about the latter in later books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Priestess of the White.