Jennifer's Reviews > Leaving the Saints: How I Lost the Mormons and Found My Faith

Leaving the Saints by Martha N. Beck

Aug 19, 07

liked it
Read in August, 2007

I have always been fascinated by the Mormon culture. This is the first thing I've read about it from an insider. I loved that part of the book. She wrote brilliantly about it in such a way that you could see, even through her pain and craziness of being in that Church, she still loved it in a way. However-I thought she would come at the end of her spiritual journey with a real sense of who God is, etc, and instead felt like I was on the roller coaster of her extremely strange psyche.(a little insanity, which is natural, considering her background. I don't want to offend the author) I do feel the writing on the LDS church was, for the most part, accurate. Read it if you've ever been interested in the culture.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving the Saints.

message 1: by Jami (new)

Jami Jennifer, as a member of the Mormon church myself, I have to tell you (if no one else already has) that Martha Beck's depiction of the Mormon culture and beliefs is almost completely and totally inaccurate. I find her writing very offensive. And I can assure you that this church does not regard women as inferior or attempt to stifle intellectual growth or academic achievement. I am a woman, and have always felt the greatest encouragement from church leaders and family to pursue my education. I would suggest if you really want to know facts about this church that you talk to someone who is actually a member, or go to mormon.org or lds.org.

Kyla The commenters' points are debatable. I do think the book was very accurate, and more than one "insider" can vouch for that.