Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > Deadly Sting

Deadly Sting by Jennifer Estep

Mar 25, 13

Read from December 13 to 14, 2012, read count: 1

I still love you, Jennifer Estep. And I still love the Elemental Assassin series. But Owen... I feel like my longstanding and overwhelming love for Owen Grayson has suffered irreparable damage with this book. Which makes me both a little bit angry --and sad.

The following will contain spoilers for anyone who has not already read Widow's Web.

As the story begins, Owen and Gin are still apart, as he deals with the fact that she killed his ex-fiance. Nevermind the fact that Selina tried to kill his sister. Nevermind the fact that she was going to kill Gin and was obsessed with the idea of getting him back. Oh yeah --and let's not forget her big evil plan to kill all those folks with her big revenge plot. But still, he's off "thinking about things." For three months now. Gin is hurting (which I hate) but she is trying to soldier on.

Finn gets the bright idea to drag Gin to a huge party to showcase all of Mab Monroe's treasures at an art museum. He even talks her into getting a fancy new dress. But nothing is ever simple for Gin. First of all, Owen is there. With a date. Then the party turns into a huge hold-up as a group of giants plot to steal Mab's fortune for themselves. And Gin must find a way to take them all down before any harm comes to her loved ones who have been taken hostage. Kind of like Die Hard. In a red dress.

As always, the action was great. I love that Jennifer Estep is always coming up with new ways for Gin to kill people. While many of the last books focused on her ice magic, this book was more focused on the stone. There were tons of cool fight sequences and big stuff with Jonah MacAllister. Plus --a great setup for where the series is likely headed next.

If you're anything like me, however, what you really care about is what's happening with Owen. Sadly, this was the only part of the story that I didn't enjoy. Owen was one of my favorite characters in a series filled with amazing characters. He came around on the heels of weenie-toad Donovan Caine, who made Gin feel damaged and unworthy --and he loved her for who she is. He accepted her. And now, HE is making Gin feel small. And alone. He is indecisive. He is a wuss. And a stupid-head. And honestly, no matter what happens in future books, I question whether I can ever see him the same way again. Scratch that. I know I can't.... which really stinks.

Where do they end up? You'll have to read the book, of course. I will tell you, though, that it is not a fun ride. At least, it wasn't for me.

This all leaves me with mixed feelings at the end of the book. The parts that weren't about Owen were everything I have come to love about the series. I liked the plot, the villain, and the growing overall arc. But the romance.... fail.

*ARC Provided by Pocket Books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Sting.

1.0% "Oooooowwwwweennnnn...." 1 comment
12/13/2012
2.0% "A few weeks? Without a word? (*sob*)"
17.0% "Owen sighting!!!"
12/13/2012
18.0% "Who. The. Fuck. Is. That. Bitch."
12/14/2012
24.0% "Just a few pages ago, I wished her dead! And then, poof! Woot!"
12/14/2012
63.0% ""I embraced that hope for a moment, grabbed onto it with both hands, and held it close like the rare treasure it was. Then I let go of it, let it float away like a butterfly on a bright day, because the darkest part of the night was yet to come, and there was no place for it here.""
12/14/2012
65.0% "I have to say, I am losing a little of my love for Owen. Suck it up already!" 1 comment
12/14/2012
81.0% "It felt TOO right? Really? Bite me."
12/14/2012
95.0% "Say you don't know one more time, Owen, and I am breaking up with YOU." 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne I might like this book as I never have exactly liked Owen. I enjoy all the books so I'm sure I will like this one.

becc Completely agree with you on Owen