Amy's Reviews > The Way the Crow Flies

The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald

F 50x66
Feb 27, 2009

This was an amazing book. It is very tragic. The theme and material were hard for me to get through. I had to slow down at times to recover from the tragedy, but I am glad I stuck to it. I also had a hard time "getting into" the book. I was not fond of her style and was not drawn to all the military life details that fill the first part of the book. But, I fell in love with this McCarthy family and I just had to soldier on. Of course her style ending up charming my socks off once I got going.
It is intricately woven and deeply affecting. I loved how the 2 stories paralleled and mirrored each other and then wove themselves together in the end. This woman is amazing. Her use of epitaph (I think that's what they're called) is fantastic. And the intimacy she creates around the main character, Madeleine, is mesmerizing. I highly recommend this book, but I warn that the theme and subject are difficult at times. I, personally do not do well with this sort of thing, but I made it, and I'm glad I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way the Crow Flies.

Marilyn As for the military aspect, I think a person has to have a curiousity about the military or else be a part of the military family to appreciate that aspect of the characters. I liked it because it was not based on a typical middle class suburban 50s family (although there were a lot of similarities to those families.