Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Minion

Minion by L.A. Banks

I really wanted to like this book more. I give LA Banks a very firm pat on the back for creating an African-American vampire huntress. I saw this book and grabbed it off the shelf. However, the execution didn't live up to my expectations. It was too dry. Too much new-agey talking and two much hip hop lingo. I want the vampire huntress to kick butt, no just sit around talking about kicking butt. I loved her eclectic band who were all her backup in the vampire fighting that didn't even happen except for one or two occasions in the book.

Kudos for Carlos, the very sexy, very edgy, antihero and would-be love interest in this story. I love the dark characters who are on the cusp of being bad or good. Also I was very pleased to see the lead love interest was Latin-American.

The dark aspects and the evil menace in this book was effective and quite scary in parts. Just wish there was more of this. More danger, more action. Less talking.

I may get slapped for this, but I don't get spoken word. It's boring to me. I am a fan of some rap music, and I was a big fan back in the late 80s. But now I am just not into it as much. So that was an issue for me too.

I would like to read a book about an African American heroine who's a nerd, who likes new wave music, hunts monsters, and never lived in the hood. I guess I'll have to write one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Minion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

C.C. Solomon I agree with everything you wrote! I'm still going to try out her werewolf series just to see what its about...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I have heard The Sasha Trudeau books are much better. I think we'll be happy. I skimmed some of the first one at the bookstore recently and I enjoyed it. Bought the first and second books. I'll post a review when I read them.

C.C. Solomon good to hear since i just bought the first book on amazon today!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) The book doesn't mention what Sasha looks like, as far as I read. She has a mix of hunky guys of various ethnicities in her unit (all werewolves). There's some hot tension between her and the alpha.

C.C. Solomon I used to have a thing for vampires but werewolves are slowly and surely replacing them in my urban fantasy heart!

CaliGirlRae I hope you write one Danielle, cause I'd love to read it. :-)

I hope her Crimson Moon series is better. Looking forward to your review!

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user Woo, werewolves! LOL. Danielle, good review. I can see your points. Re: talking more than acting, this is a problem with a lot of series that are stretched out over so many books, particularly UF, I've found.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I love werewolves too, Cat and New User (which you know). They are my fave. Thanks, Rae. I think her Crimson Moon books will be much better.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Neanderthal in the sense that I think action books should have lots of action, and some talking too.

message 9: by Michelle (last edited Dec 05, 2009 06:39PM) (new) - added it

Michelle I tried with this one, and really wanted to love it. When I saw it, I thought "finally a paranormal fiction novel with a heroine of color." Not that I don't enjoy all paranormal,but the time for diversity is long over due. I was so disappointed with the over use of "ebonics", that I couldn't even get to page 100. I'm going to try again at some point as I hear the series is really good if you can get around the dialect.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Dec 05, 2009 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Michelle, I had an issue with the dialogue, too. But my main problem was that it's too talky and not enough action. Plus, I was not unenamored with the whole spoken word aspect. I thought it was really boring. The second book has a shade more action. Someone talked me into trying to read the rest, but I'm in no hurry.

Kenya Wright I love your review!!! I agree 100%!

message 12: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph I haven't read this in a while but I think I agree with you from what I remember. My feelings about this series is that it gets better (a LOT better) then it gets worse. There are 13(?) books in the series and I stopped somewhere around 6-7. A friend of mine read them all - she told me that books 6-9 are a little slow and that it picks up again in books 10-13.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Kenya.

MrsJ, I only own the first three books. I will read the third book and determine if I need to continue.

I think Banks was a great writer. I just don't like all the aspects of her execution at times.

Kenya Wright I'm getting ready to start the third book. I hope that the do get better.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, you haven't read it yet either? Let me know!