Sara's Reviews > The House on Tradd Street

Feb 27, 09

bookshelves: adult-fiction, 2009, mystery, ghost-stories
Recommended to Sara by: Gwen
Read in February, 2009

4.5 stars. This book was beautifully written and had a great plot that kept me interested. Melanie is a realtor in Charleston whose specialty is selling historical houses; she, however, does not like these old houses because she has always had the unwanted ability to see ghosts, who assemble in greater numbers around historical places. When a client dies and surprises Melanie by leaving her his entire estate, Melanie is forced to live in the old house and work on restoring it while doing her best to ignore the spirits she feels around the house. She has also been tasked by the previous owner to find out the truth behind his mother's disappearance years ago, hoping to clear her name after a smear campaign. A local mystery writer, Jack, who's as handsome as he is insistent that her house is the setting for his next book, joins Melanie's team working on the house and begins to help - and annoy - her as she searches for answers.

Like I said, the writing in this book is really strong. I felt like I was in Charleston - or at least could imagine it clearly - and everything was brought to life in a really vivid way. There were also some funny one-liners in the dialogue. The characters were likable, and the story was interesting and kept me guessing as to what had happened and what would happen.

My only two complaints:

1. The back cover of the book gives away a plot twist - not a major one, but still. I like to be surprised.

2. I hate it when everyone can see something but the main character. Her friends are telling her something is true, the reader can see they're right, and yet the main character refuses to believe it and does dumb things anyway... until (surprise, surprise) her friends are proven right. That is always quite frustrating, to not fully understand why the main character is acting so, well, stupid when it seems to obvious!

But despite my complaints, I really enjoyed this book and will be eagerly picking up the sequel when it comes out this fall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Tradd Street.