Aaron's Reviews > On Love

On Love by Alain de Botton

Feb 27, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction

Imagine one of your close friends - let's call him AB - has recently embarked on an intense and tumultuous relationship.
You like hearing his take on things. Since AB is introspective and curious, he is able to describe his experiences to you in fascinating detail. Since he studied philosophy, he can relate his insights to you in a wider frame of thought.

That's the tone of this book. It's not pretentious, or mushy, or a how-to. Just a quiet, devastating examination of how we act when in love.

Whether the story is completely true or not is beside the point. What's important is that you can relate your personal experience - or that of your friends - to elements in the story.

The chapter that resonated like a hammer blow for me was the "I-confirmation" chapter, which describes how your image of yourself is affected by the person you're with.

You cannot help but be struck by the quality of the writing. Resist the urge to speed-read this short, efficient book - go back and pick up all the words. It's exactly as long as it needs to be: every sentence is there for a reason and has a quietly valuable point.

I am not exaggerating when I say that everyone who is likely to touch or speak to anyone of their preferred sex should be required to read this book. And then reread it on a yearly basis. Couples should be sent this book by the government at the three-month milestone.

Read AB's deft, unfussy novel and further understand your own lusts and weaknesses, so your relationships can be better. What could be more important?

n.b. This book is called 'Essays in Love' for the non-US market.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Love.

02/03/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Cristina (new)

Cristina If I ever write a book I hope to get a review like this!

message 2: by Rara (new) - added it

Rara Lubis I was read about national geog at fav' taffe india, this like the same history, and it's good to read.

Adedapo Adesanya This review is fantastic Aaron. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!