Shannon's Reviews > The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World

The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney

Mar 17, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended to Shannon by: Mikkee
Recommended for: Introverts, Those Who Know One, Those Who Love One
Read in March, 2009

If you don't know me, you may not realize how momentous it is for me to not only read a non-fiction book, but give it five stars. My friend, Mikkee, recommended this book and I am so glad I read it. I've always been an introvert, but I think as I've aged, I've become more aware of how this makes me feel and how my needs are different because of it. For a non-fiction book, it was very readable, which is what pushed it from four stars to five for me. While the author has a doctorate in psychology, she didn't talk over my head (although there was one chapter on mind mapping that left me feeling slightly stupid).

A few of the other things I liked about this book:

-It affirmed traits that I either question or dislike about myself and made me realize I'm not crazy. I am self-reflective (if you haven't noticed!), contemplative and able to concentrate for long periods of time.

-It was fascinating to read about how a collection of small things like a lower natural body temperature, a tendency for my mind to go completely blank if someone calls on me unexpectedly and an affinity for short naps are all evidence of my introverted nature.

-It made me think about where my children fall on the introverted/extroverted spectrum and gave me ideas for how to relate to my daughters who are different from me in this area. It also made me realize I need to affirm the introverted qualities in my daughter who is one and in my daughter who is a bit of both introvert and extrovert.

-It gave me concrete tips on how to anticipate when my energy will be low and how to store up my energy for a time of interaction.

-Good word pictures. One of my favorites was that extroverts are like solar panels, who soak up energy from being around others. Introverts are like rechargeable batteries that need to sit on their charger (preferably at home) in order to refuel.

If you know or love an introvert, or suspect you have an introverted child, I really recommend you read this book. It's a super easy, quick read and will give you a better understanding of what it means to be introverted.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Introvert Advantage.