Douglas Meeks's Reviews > Every Breath She Takes

Every Breath She Takes by Norah Wilson

Dec 13, 2012

Every Breath She TakesEvery Breath She Takes by Norah Wilson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Summary:

Veterinarian Lauren Townsend has good reason for hiding her psychic ability. Not only did her “freakishness” earn her pariah status in the small town where she grew up, it cost her her faith in love. When Lauren foresees a murder — through the killer’s eyes — he traces the victim to a sprawling ranch, never guessing what waits for her…

Cal Taggart’s rugged ranch life doesn’t need any more complications. But then beautiful Lauren enters his corral…with danger close behind. They can’t deny their intense attraction, but what begins as a fling with no strings becomes a fight for survival — and for true love.

Review:
Well since about 99% of what I read is PNR/UF this one just barely qualifies. Lauren has visions …. violent murderous visions and they come true …. all of them.

This leads her to try to stop one of them for once in her life she wants to get ahead of the murder she knows is coming and so we have our plot. The plot takes a side road when she meets ranch owner Cal Taggert in a bit subdued version of the “love at first sight” scenario.

This novel quickly turns into a combination of a cowboy romance and murder mystery “who dunnit” although since this IS still PNR the murder has not happened yet. The author leads you through all kinds of possible suspects and red herrings but does not bore you. All the while the romance angle keeps heating up and in what seems to me a weird combination of borderline dominance and plain old lust, it keep getting warmer and warmer while the two participants keep trying to come up with good reasons to not like each other.

This type book usually bores me but this one was done well enough it not only kept my interest but it kept me up late trying to get to the ending and the answer to the mystery (which was also done very well).

Rating:
Bottom Line: This is one of those books you need to get and read it now or keep it for later, the HEA was exceptional and the story engaging. I should mention the first 60% or so was about a 3.5/5 but the last 30% things get to moving a bit quicker and the entertainment factor comes closer to a 4.5/5 so overall I rather this book as a 4+ and highly recommend it for those times you really want to read something that is not syrupy sweet but ends exactly the way you want it to end and you leave with that warm feeling a really good book can give you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Breath She Takes.