Feminista's Reviews > Deadly Sting

Jan 27, 13

bookshelves: arc, urban-fantasy
Read on January 01, 2013

Rating: 3 out of 5.

My heart is heavy while I write this. Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassin series used to be one of the best urban fantasy series I had ever read. Up to and including Book 5, the author could do nothing wrong. I loved her writing, I loved her plots, I loved the setting of the story and most of all I used to love her characters. While I still love the first three aspects of her books, I have been losing respect for her characters.

First it was with Gin in Book 6 and her old flame. I didn’t like how she acted and kept things from Owen. But I got over it because she left her ex behind irrevocably. The next two books in the series have been devastating. Because I have just lost and lost any love and respect I felt for Owen.

I am disappointed in Owen. He realises how much he misses her when he thinks she might be dead. That just wasn’t good enough. It makes me doubt every sweet word, every promise he has ever made to her. A chance event like that shouldn’t be a major turning point for character’s emotions in a book. Because if it is, then it makes anything they feel shallow. Makes me, as a reader, doubt his feelings for her. Because what if that didn’t happen? Would he move on, find some other girl to settle down with, someone else to love. I love HEAs and fated couples as much as the next person, but chance events like that make relationships seem very fragile. That they wouldn’t have been reconciling if it weren’t for that single event.

And Gin. I love her. She is strong and keeps her head up even when she is knocked down. And knocked down she is. I could feel her heartache after seeing Owen with his date and I wished Jennifer Estep would find her someone else who can love her wholly and unconditionally. Yes ladies and gentlemen, a HEA with Owen won’t satisfy me anymore. I could never forgive him, even though Gin might and has. Actually, she doesn’t even think he has done her wrong, but it isn’t okay that he is so grieves Salina who was a psychopathic murderer but not Gin the vigilante. This constant tension between them because of her job makes me so angry. He wants her to change who she is, and that isn’t fair.

Throughout the book, Gin just hopes and hopes for signs from Owen but he disappoints her at almost every turn. It made me so sad to see her yearning for something from him. He doesn’t deserve her; she needs someone who will fight for her even when the going gets tough.

ARC courtesy of Edelweiss and Simon & Schuster
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Sting.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Nabk!

Feminista Thanks Blacky!