Diana's Reviews > Tiger Eyes

bookshelves: 9th-advisory

Tiger Eyes
By Judy Blume
217 pgs.
Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group, Inc.
1540 Broadway New York, New York 10036 $5.99
ISBN 0-440-98469-6

Davey Wexler, a teenage girl who suddenly lost her father, has lost her sense of direction in life. She can't forget that night when her father got shot in his store and died, in which she was at the scene and couldn't do anything to help save him. All those red spots of blood, everywhere. Around the counter, on her father's easel, on her own body. She can't face the fact about what had happened that night, and instead chooses to avoid the truth.

I like how Judy Blume describes Davey's feelings in this book. It always seems like when I am reading, I can understand how she feels, but not how she is thinking and the pain she is going through. To avoid this feeling, she settles down in her aunt Bitsy and uncle Walter's home in New Mexico with her mother Gwen, and her brother Jason. There, she feels lonely and unsafe as if she can't speak and express herself to anybody, but not until she meets mysterious Wolf who can read her "sad eyes", when climbing in the Los Alamos canyon.

Personally, I don't even think I can be like Davey if such thing happened to me. I wouldn't know who to talk to, I wouldn't know how to face this, and I wouldn't get on with life as much. I like Judy's writing style because it seems as if she really knows how we as teenagers are living our lives. Many things happen in a regular teenagers' life and not every adult can understand everything about what we're thinking. If this just happens to a regular teen, then think about how a teen would think and feel when she has only one parent left, physically by her side.

I would recommend this book to ones who are teens and above. I think that if kids who aren't teens are reading this book, they wouldn't understand how Davey feels. Mostly only teens would know how other teens are thinking, but some adults might have the ability to feel the pain and know what is in our minds; the ones that can truely put down their adult point of view and pick up their teen point of view.

In this book, both Wolf and Davey have a lot in common and that is why they are both so close. Wolf seems to be the only one who understands how Davey is feeling and with his help, she finally realizes that she needs to get on with her life. In general, I admire the determination and effort that is within herself. Alone, she has tried so many times to face this truth yet she never achieves this goal. With Wolf's inspiration and encouragement, would she be able to succeed to the fullest?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger Eyes.