BJ Rose's Reviews > To Romance a Charming Rogue

2030200
Jan 04, 10

bookshelves: a-regency, for-swap, series
Read in December, 2009

This was an OK read, but a weak ending to The Courtship Wars series, at least for me. The premise behind the broken engagement just didn't work for me - it should have, but it didn't. Here's the background: Damon and Eleanor had a whirlwind courtship, Damon proposed, Damon then tricked Elle into breaking the engagement and left for parts unknown. At this point, I thought 'Aha!' - he's been sent on a secret mission for the Crown, but no such thing. Turns out he has sworn never to give his heart, and marrying someone who could come to love him would (in his thinking) be disastrous, so he ran from it. Now it's 2 years later, and he's returned to keep Elle from marrying a man he's sure is wrong for her, but he himself still has no intention of marrying.

It just didn't work for me - his feelings about marriage were firmly entrenched, but he proposes marriage, then is seen in public with his former mistress so Elle will break off the engagement - and he does this so neither one of them will be hurt in a bad marriage. NO! NO! NO! If you don't ever plan on marrying, you don't ever propose! They weren't forced into it by society, he freely proposed, and then deliberately did something that he **knew** would hurt Elle, so he wouldn't end up hurting her later (ooh, my aching head).

It's not a bad story, just not as good as it could have been.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Romance a Charming Rogue.

message 1: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane *gets you two aspirins and a better book to read* :D

message 2: by Dina (new)

Dina Eh, this one doesn't sound good. Thanks for reviewing it so I don't have to read it, BJ! :)

BJ Rose Rane, thanks for the 'prescription'! I did get a better book to read (Covet), which I still have to review, and that got rid of the aching head.

Dina, I think it was disappointment as much as anything else - the series started out well, but then I followed the author down that twisting garden path, thinking, 'the next one will be better', so I guess I only have myself to blame. Bottom line is, I'm done with Sophie Jordan. So choose something good and clue me in! BTW, I received my copy of Goddess of the Hunt, so will be reading that soon.

message 4: by Dina (new)

Dina Oooh, Goddess of the Hunt is great! I hope you enjoy it. :)

message 5: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Jan 05, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ Ah man, this entire series is looking to be a dissapointment. I've read nearly all Nicole Jordan's books, and in truth most had crazy plots that stretched your beliefs, but this series just wasn't as fun for me as her other books. I too enjoyed the first in the series well enough, the second was better and probably my favorite, but I skipped the third as I hate TSTL heroines.