Jon's Reviews > Lord of Light

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny

Apr 02, 13

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction, award-winners, hugo-winner, read-in-my-40s, liked-it
Recommended to Jon by: Jim MacLachlan
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Light.

03/30/2009 page 28
9.46% "I'm having a hard time staying focused with this book."
03/30/2009 page 37
12.5% "Interesting confrontation between Yama and Mara and Sam preaches on dreams and illusion."
03/30/2009 page 42
14.19% "Finally made it to chapter two."
03/31/2009 page 70
23.65% "Still in the middle of chapter two. Another book with long chapters."
03/31/2009 page 83
28.04% "Starting chapter three - not much reading today; too much driving"
04/02/2009 page 126
42.57% "Starting chapter 4"
04/02/2009 page 134
45.27% "Sam frees the demon Taraka."
04/03/2009 page 146
49.32% "Taraka possesses Sam's body and they continue to fight over it."
04/03/2009 page 169
57.09% "Destruction of HellWell and most of the demons; Exorcism of Sam; announcement of the wedding of Yama and Kali."
04/03/2009 page 211
71.28% "After the wedding of Death and Destruction, Heaven changed."
04/04/2009 page 256
86.49% "The Great Battle and the aftermath."
04/04/2009 page 304
100% 2 comments

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Excellent list! (Darn you for adding to my To-Read pile again, Jon!!!) ;-)  I've actually read all on that list except "The Butterfly Kid". "Thorns" was good, but I probably read it too young & haven't re-read it in ages. Ditto with "Chthon". Not Anthony's normal light drivel, almost as good as "Macroscope", my favorite of his.

As much as I loved "Lord of Light", I think The Einstein Intersection is every bit as good. It's also more obscure, in a lot of ways. I've found both books were better on a re-read. I had the same issues with the mythologies & picking up on the clues in both. Age deepened my appreciation, as I read both as a teenager. Neither has ever lost its charm, but developed more.

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon I've been searching and digging through all the local used book stores (including at lunch today) for Delaney's Einstein Intersection. Sorry for the to-read addition dilemma ... I seem to suffer from that as well. :P

message 3: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Just as I had given up finding a copy of The Einstein Intersection at a local used book store, I got lucky and mooched it last week. So I'm reading that for one of my May books.

message 4: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Just added this to my BookMooch inventory:

Happy Monday Morning Mooching!

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I think the hugo award winners are often a product of the era in which they are chosen. The one is a prime example.

Jeffrey I also read this book and frankly couldnt finish it. Hated it would be too harsh but I just didnt like it much. I have gone to 3 or 4 Worldcon conventions, where the fans vote on the final Hugo Winner and I can say that there are politics going on there. Its possible that Zelazny was very popular at the time or that this novel -- set outside the western world dealing with Hindo gods was seen as "groundbreaking". Its hard to judge now.

Peter I may not agree with you about Lord of Light, but I ABSOLUTELY agree with you about the acquisition of GoodReads by Amazon!

message 8: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Excellent!

We can agree to disagree about the book! :)