Steven's Reviews > Script and Scribble: The Rise and Fall of Handwriting

Script and Scribble by Kitty Burns Florey

Sep 02, 09

bookshelves: culture, language
Read in September, 2009

A lovely little book about penmanship that strikes a nice balance between the history of handwriting and exploring the state of handwriting today. Florey's writing style is very welcoming and her sense of humor clicked with me.

As someone with mildly atrocious handwriting, I thought I would be most interested in what she had to say about handwriting versus typing. While she does address this, I found my attention grabbed by her discussion of different writing methods, such as Spenserian, Palmer, and, what I'm pretty sure I was taught in the mid 1970s, Zaner-Bloser. Who knew?

In addition to being informative, this book is close to ideal, physically. It's an unusual shape, having room for footnotes in the outside margins (are they still called footnote if they're in the margins?) -- although the numbering of the notes got off somewhere in the first chapter. And the illustrations, many of them examples of the author's writing from throughout her life, are in-line with the text. I can't tell you how much having this arrangement improves the reading experience.

Now I want to get a good fountain pen and start practicing Getty-Dubay cursive italic. Someone else may just yet understand my scrawl!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Script and Scribble.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janelle (new) - added it

Janelle Palmer script... isn't that the one librarians were trained to use back in the day when all catalog cards were handwritten?

O will learn cursive this year ... yikes!