Nichole's Reviews > The Last Snake Runner

The Last Snake Runner by Kimberley Griffiths Little

Mar 20, 09

bookshelves: bookclub2, children
Read in March, 2009

This was a nice story. Though quick read, I was still able to see some underlying themes and have thoughts provoked.

The beginning of the story finds Kendall learning that his father has not only been dating a new woman (after his mother’s death), but they have gotten married; this devastated him. The story progresses through an adventure where he learns more about his ancestors.

I have a few frustrations with this book: first, I do not see that Kendall is in any different “place” at the end of the story than he was at the beginning. I did not see any progression or growth on his part through the story. Second, I think it is a bit arrogant to think that a boy who had only partial exposure to the Acoma people could fool a “full-time” member that he was “allowed” to be on the land. Lastly, I think there was an extreme disconnect between Kendall and the rest of his family; it was almost as though there was an intentional disconnect between them. If anything, running away to the dessert and experiencing what he did created a larger detachment from his family and a greater dislike for his new step-mother.

Although there were several aspects of this story which frustrated me, I enjoyed the imagery and insights which the author showed throughout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Snake Runner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kirsten Werk May I suggest that you read "Enchanted Runner" which takes place before the events in Last Snake Runner.