All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Four Realms

The Four Realms by Adrian Faulkner

Jan 25, 13

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, earc
Read in January, 2013

When trolls and wizards meet the London streets, you get THE FOUR REALMS. This book manages to marry these conflicting flavors of classic and urban fantasy without missing a beat. The Dexter-esque anti-hero Darwin took awhile to win me over, but I was invested in elderly, unappreciated Maureen immediately. Though style of story telling is not my usual cup of tea, the action flowed fast enough to sweep me away.

Ultimately, it is that style issue that lowers my rating to 3 bats. The central problem in this book, with the peripatetic flashes back and forth between Darwin and Maureen, was that THE FOUR REALMS had an interesting plot but many characters that I didn’t get attached to. The plot was enough to get me through to this end, but without an emotional investment, I have no motivation to read on to book two (and though no sequel is listed, THE FOUR REALMS is structured as a series opener). Some of the most well developed pieces of the book center around the machinations of the different warring factions and magical theory, and I would highly recommend THE FOUR REALMS to anyone who wants a twist on the usual sword and sorcery.

With the political agendas flying fast and furious, the poor beleaguered Darwin and Maureen were bloodied (but unbowed) by the fallout. Fans of THE HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY or the Secret Histories books by Simon R. Green will probably enjoy this a lot more than I did. THE FOUR REALMS is an adventure with atypical protagonists. I like how Faulkner isn’t afraid to let his characters keep some of the the flaws and limitations that make them unique, even as they grow.

Sexual Content: A sex scene, references to sex and prostitution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Realms.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrian (new) - added it

Adrian Faulkner Thanks for taking the time to read and review. It's Appreciated.