Samara's Reviews > Blood And Gold

Blood And Gold by Anne Rice

F_50x66
Mar 02, 09

Read in February, 2009

The cover of this book really caught my attention since it pictures a slightly gay looking angel wrapped in a ribbon. Blood and Gold is the first of Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles I have read and it’s not a let down. The style of the writing is romantic and detailed, or as my English teacher described it “curly q baroque” type writing. I’ll admit it’s not a short read at all and I took my time pondering the texture and words of the book. Marius the main character is complex and struggles with the positive and negative aspects of being a vampire in the Roman ages through the present. The thing I really like is that we don’t meet Marius until almost two chapters in. After which by certain circumstances another character meets Marius and asks for his life story. The settings pop out from the pages and into your head. Anne Rice swallows you up into ancient times.
Marius is a sort of ladies man but then again he is a vampire. He has many love interests in the book both male and female but his main flame is Pandora the woman he seeks all his life after fighting with her centuries ago. This is not THE Pandora that pops open the box, she's just a curious and drop dead gorgeous vampire. As Marius tells his life story he reveals the origins of the blood drinkers aka vampires. Basically he spends his life protecting the sleeping statues of the Blessed Mother Akasha and her mate Enkil. For Marius the chosen one he worships the immovable statues at their cold stone feet (literally).
The plot story in the sense of romance is very similar to Twilight. Boy meets girl, girl meets boy they spend a couple decades infatuated with each other then BOOM one little argument and they are separated for centuries only to repeat the cycle once again. Anyway the book is very well written and Rice is not shy when it comes to writing erotic scenes (although she isn't vulgar) some scenes made me blush. Overall it deals with a man-sure he's supernatural with the power of a god (or three) but nevertheless he is struggling to find his place in the very human world and finding love. At the end of the day isn’t that's what we're all looking for...minus the blood sucking desire and immortal flesh.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood And Gold.