Jessica's Reviews > Quaker Summer

Feb 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: christian-fiction, read-2009
Read in May, 2009

I give this book 3.75 stars, although I can't bring myself to round up to the four-star rating. First of all, 401 pages was WAY too long. The story could have effectively been told in 300. Secondly, I think part of my let-down is because it was one of Publishers Weekly's Top Books of 2007 and the Women of Faith Novel of the Year that same year, so I totally expected it to be phenomenal. While I enjoyed the ending immensely, the rest went in spurts ranging from sweet to dragging.

Overall, it was a nice story of finding faith, embracing diversity, and the American cliche of discovering what's truly important in life. The story drives home the inner battle of being able to accept that a life of less is more, putting material posessions aside in exchange for simplicity, and a love of God.

I have already bought two more of Samson's books, so I will give them a fair shot before making a final determination as to whether to keep reading her works.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quaker Summer.

04/23/2009 page 87
26.77% "It's pretty good so far, but not as great as I expected considering it was one of Publishers Weekly's Top books of 2007."
show 3 hidden updates…