Haengbok92's Reviews > First Blood

First Blood by David Morrell

Feb 27, 09

bookshelves: favorites
Read in February, 2009

This book is brilliant! I'd read a section of it in a class and have really wanted to read the rest of it for the past two years. Having finished it, I am thrilled that First Blood met and exceeded my already high expectations. This is a book that truly dramatizes the crucible of two forces, who by nature, trauma, and through a severe inability to communicate are inevitably bound for tragedy. The two main characters are equally as compelling even as they stand on opposite sides, and both of them are wrong.

With that said, I vacillated between 4 and 5 stars, mainly because the book is a little head jumpy, ie: within a chapter that is basically taking place in one character's POV, there are shifts to the other main character that seem at odds with the overall chapter structure. Mostly it's handled gracefully, but there were points it was jarring. However, the substance and overall visceral affect of the book more than makes up for this in my opinion, so I went with the 5 stars.

First Blood the book is ridiculously better and more nuanced than the film. Seriously, there's no comparison.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Blood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken I'm with you on this, Vash. So many people just toss this book aside because of the film, but it's a deep study of two forces of nature, as you said. An excellent read.