Medeline Sinclair's Reviews > Diario di un dolore

2075415
Feb 22, 13

bookshelves: most-loved
Read in August, 2005

I read this book for the first time something like four years ago. Me, like everyone else who had gone through the loss of a beloved, will surely recognize the same emotions that Lewis describes.
It's not easy to give a rational review of this book. It's something like a mirror, reading those words makes you feel like Lewis had been looking into your heart when he wrote them.
But this is not only a portrait of loss. It would be reductive to say that he only speaks about his pain. First of all, the main theme is love. May I say it's about Love.
It's because that love existed that it could be "lost".
It's moving the way he talks about his wife and I don't think there will ever be a woman who wouldn't want that kind of love. Friendship, complicity, loyalty, honesty, protection, this and much more was what formed their relationship.
Lewis talks about his two major loves: God and his wife.
He asks "the" question everybody who have been in pain had at least once asked God: why? And he does get angry. He does get sad, he does scream through ink on paper. He screams about his suffering and ours.
But yet, this is not a book about pain.
There is fear. There is hope. It's not bitter, it's bittersweet, since through screams he understands that a goodbye is not forever, through anger he understands that nothing is really over. That she is not really over, she is not really dead till he has got that everlasting hope to rejoin.
The book comes near the end with an appointment: she'll be there when it'll be his time. It's quite funny the way she says that neither Heaven or Hell could stop her. And then the book ends leaving you with a little sad smile, a bittersweet emotion which is a mixture of hope, fear, sadness and courage.
This book helped me a lot in my darkest days. We know he used to say that you become friend with someone saying "you too". That's why I think about him like a friend, a mentor, a man who wasn't just an intellectual but also a man who was able to touch the human heart in its most wounded spots without falling in mere complaining.
I suggest this book to anyone who have suffered the same even if sometimes it takes bravery to look in the mirror of your wounds. But, I can promise you, once you do you find yourself a new friend and new hopes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diario di un dolore.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by booklady (last edited Mar 02, 2009 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

booklady Pickastar,

Excellent review! I have just finished a book which I think will interest you very much, A Severe Mercy. Hopefully I'll review it tonight. The author was a friend of Lewis and they shared many of the same experiences and insights.

Medeline  Sinclair Thank you so much!
I'm looking foward to read it and your review!

K.D. Absolutely Hi Medeline,
I just read this book. I agree with your review particularly the mirror part. Thanks.
Hello from Manila, Philippines.
K. D.

Medeline  Sinclair K.D. wrote: "Hi Medeline,
Hello from Manila, Philippines.
K. D."

No need to thank me :) it was so kind of you commenting. I love that book

Vicki Beautiful review that also reaches out to people's hearts. Hope, Healing, Life and God this book also helped me to return to these.
Thank you for articulating so well that this book was a reflection. Bless you Take care.