Pat's Reviews > The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

U_50x66
Dec 12, 12

Read in November, 2012

It's possible that I liked the author better than the book. Jon Ronson was a guest on "The Daily Show", talking about his newest book, "Lost at Sea", but he also gave an anecdote about time he spent in Seattle writing a book about Phoenix Jones, Seattle's own super-hero, that had me in stitches! So I went to KCLS.org to reserve both books, with no luck; They didn't have "Lost at Sea", and "The Amazing Adventures of Phoenix Jones: And the Less Amazing Adventures of Some Other Real-Life Superheroes" is only available as an e-book, which I'll get one of these days. So, I ordered "The Psychopath Test".

Ronson has an engaging writing style, and seems to spend a lot of time flitting around the world checking out odd stories. The initial story was that he was asked to figure out the mystery behind an odd book that was showing up in some people's inboxes, but moved on to Scientologists and psychopaths, and eventually to the "Hare's Psychopath Check List" giving the clues that you're dealing with a psychopath, such as pathological lying or lack of remorse or guilt. A tool like this is a dangerous thing to give me; first I determined that I'm certainly not a psychopath, but then I wasn't so sure about the rest of you!

One story on the TV show was that a researcher was testing a serial killer by showing photos of people facially expressing emotion. When he saw "fear" he said he didn't know what it was, but it was the emotion everyone showed just before he killed them.

My friend Lloyd saw the book at my house, and isn't as cheap as I am. He bought "Lost at Sea", "The Psychopath Test", and another, "Them" I think; he's already finished "Lost at Sea" and sent it to me. I have wonderful friends!

This book is a pretty fast read, entertaining and educational; don't let the check list get you in trouble.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Psychopath Test.