Manny's Reviews > And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Feb 26, 09

Read in January, 1990

My friend Amelie and I used this book as half of our corpus when we wrote our 1990 paper, An Implementable Semantics for Comparative Constructions . We spent several days combing through the text, extracting and categorizing every single occurrence of a comparative construction. So you'll appreciate that I know what I'm talking about when I say it's better than most murder mysteries.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then There Were None.

Yngvild Interesting paper. Perhaps it should be compulsory reading for anybody wanting to add a question to the trivia quiz.

I completely agree with your conclusions about Agatha Christie's writing. You have to be very clever to write simply.

message 2: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Milton Nice. Liked this. I think only improvement that Agatha Christie could have made was to not give away the ending right in the title. AND THEN THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN NONE would have been better. First rule of mystery, keep them guessing.

Manny Thank you Bradley! And in case you didn't know, Agatha Christie's original title preserved the mystery much more effectively, but was unfortunately too politically incorrect to be usable in our modern age...

message 4: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Milton What was the title? Now I'm even more intrigued...

message 6: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Milton Interesting. I believe that Christie made the right choice. In today's Market, this word is a hard sell. Outside of Rap Music at least.

So this is an example of adapting to the Market. I've seen it myself with Huck Milton. I just took the n-word out of Huckleberry Finn and then added a few more words, gave all the characters some psychedelic drugs, brought in a robotic Jerry Garcia, introduced a modern day Jim Morrison impersonator with ill-fitting wig, all of Ed Wood's minor character cast, several other classic works of literature, and coding documentation by IBM. But I won't say more -- cant' give it all away. Suspense is always important.

Manny There already is an edition of Huck Finn without the N-word - in fact, my review is mostly about that. But I think it lacks a robotic Jerry Garcia. Why, I simply can't imagine.

message 8: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Milton What the authors of these books must realize is that imagination is more important than knowledge; so John Lennon was right. Also enjoying your Program Code, by the way. Computational Linguistics is a win-win.