Andrew's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

1921291
Mar 22, 09

Read in March, 2009

I thought this book was extremely well written. It did a great job of being descriptive and kept me engaged... but..
==== SPOILER ALERT ====

OK, it is a "American Hamlet", so I was expecting the ultimate ending, but honestly I thought the ending blew. It just had no closure for me at all. I was expecting a confrontation between Edgar, his mom, and Claude and it just didn't happen. Ack... the more I think about it the more it made me mad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Terry Earley So it did not turn out the way you would have ended it. --That is actually a good thing. A confrontation between them would, to me, have made it more a soap opera close. Everyone comes together and the good guys win. Yawn!

Unexpected endings are the best. Good for a surprise. If it had turned out the way you thought it would, you might have been disappointed that it was so predictable.

The confrontation that was so cool was when Edgar scared Claude spitless in the driving lesson, when he held the accelerator down and would not let up. I enjoyed that.

Edgar knew he was essentially powerless against Claude, but was still able to make his statement.

Regardless a great story. I had a great ride with it. Glad you did too. Now you should read "Wolf Totem".