Shawna's Reviews > Making Chase

Making Chase by Lauren Dane

5 stars – Contemporary Romance

Although I’m depressed there are no more Chase brothers to dream about and drool over, this was a very satisfying conclusion to the wonderful, feel-good Chase Brothers series. I love all four brothers and would take any of them in a heartbeat, but I think Shane and Matt are my favorites. Making Chase is my second favorite book in the series, close behind Taking Chase.

Firefighter Matt is the handsomest Chase brother, and after watching his three brothers find happiness from settling down and marrying the right women is longing for a special woman of his own. But after dating every beautiful woman in the small town of Petal, Georgia and surrounding towns has about given up on ever finding her. Tate Murphy gazes dreamily at 'visual donut' Matt on a daily basis from her beauty salon across the street from the fire station where he works, but she’s convinced the town heartthrob is way out of her league. After being hit by a car brings firefighter Matt to her aide and she bakes him some mouthwatering cookies in appreciation, Tate suddenly finds herself the latest woman to be wooed and pursued by a hottie Chase. Matt sees Tate as everything he wants in a woman: she’s curvaceous, loving, earnest, hardworking, genuine, funny, feisty in bed, fiercely loyal and protective of her large family, and is great with kids. He falls hard and fast (like all the Chase brothers), commits wholeheartedly, and sets out to build a life with her.

Of course, they face all sorts of obstacles in their path to happily ever after, like her body issues, wrong side of the tracks, impoverished background, and abusive, neglectful parents, interfering, jealous, coldhearted, b*tchy town bimbos, and family struggles. Luckily, Matt’s a determined, patient, sweet hero to-die-for who loves strong and true, and Tate is a caring, courageous, firecracker heroine who stands up for her family and ultimately for herself too.

What sets the series apart from so many others in the contemporary romance genre is that things don’t end when the H/H declare “I love you”, but instead the stories demonstrate what real couples have to struggle through in order to build a solid relationship and life together: insecurities, self-esteem issues, emotional baggage, effects of abuse, gossip, meddling exes, blending of family, money problems, intimacy issues, and the general fear of what it truly means to take a risk and love someone, which is that it can be lost.

It’s a truly heartrending series about the power of love and family, and I’m sure going to miss the entire Chase clan: spitfire, protective momma Polly Chase, wise, loving daddy Edward Chase, the too-yummy-for-words Chase brothers, and the strong, feisty Chase wives.

This is a terrific ending to a fabulous series...I hated for it to end! 5 stars!
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Chase.

07/04/2009 page 237
100.0% 2 comments

Corrine I'm really hoping LD will write a series featuring Tate's unattached siblings, but so far, no.

Auntee Corrine wrote: "I'm really hoping LD will write a series featuring Tate's unattached siblings, but so far, no."

I'm with you--why does it have to end? There should be a spin-off with the Murphy clan!:)

Nice review, Shawna!

Shawna I hope so too because I'm not ready to say good-bye to all these great characters! I sure wouldn't mind a book featuring Tate's brother Nathan.

Miss Kim I knew you'd love the Chase boys, Shawna! I suffered slight depression after finishing this one because there weren't any more.

Daisiemae Great Review Shawna;)

Diana~ Lovely review Shawna! You just made me a lot more dedicated to read this book.

Shawna Thanks, Diana!

*Nan* I an so excited because sometime next year there is a book about Tate's brother Nathan coming out!

Shawna Me too, Nan!

ValerieC Great review! Too bad she didn't start out with more brothers, some sisters, and a bunch of cousins!

Miss Kim Nan wrote: "I an so excited because sometime next year there is a book about Tate's brother Nathan coming out!"

Really?? I didn't know that! Cool!

Shawna Thanks, Valerie! I know, right? I'm glad to hear she's doing Tate's brother's story.