Peter's Reviews > The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

M_50x66
Feb 25, 09

Read in February, 2009

This is my favorite non fiction book. I knew very little about Theodore Roosevelt before reading this, but that turned about to be a good thing because it was fun to see what would happen next! Not only do you learn a great deal about his life and his personality, but the book is also a fascinating history of the late 1800's. It's a biography, but the novel reads like a narrative. We follow Theodore from childhood through becoming a New York State Assemblyman, running a ranch in South Dakota, being appointed civil service commissioner, and publishing two biographies and a naval war history novel all before turning 30. The man's intensity and work ethic are inspiring.. but Edmund Morris does a good job of pointing out his lesser qualities, which keeps the book from descending into hero worship. To that end, the book is meticulously researched, and the material is presented so well that it doesn't become dry and boring. Highly recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.