Poiema's Reviews > Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire by Rafe Esquith

Feb 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: teacher-books
Read in February, 2009

The idea of teaching as a "calling" rather than a career is rather old-fashioned. A recent news article touted teaching as a career that was "recession-proof." I think Rafe Esquith would disdain such an idea, because he is a soul who is truly called to teach and will do so whether he makes a penny profit or not. He probably does not, because he spends much of his own money to provide special projects & field trips for his class of 5th graders in a poor L.A. school district. His passion is contagious and in my estimation it is the reason for his great success. He enumerates some of his pet projects and approaches in his book, but without his underlying passion I suspect his success would not be duplicated. As a homeschool teacher/mom, many of his projects would not translate to a small setting. BUT, I did pick up a few ideas that have enriched our studies and mostly I just enjoyed sitting in on his class vicariously. We need more Rafe Esquiths in this world!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire.