Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)'s Reviews > The Last Man in The World

2073558
Aug 28, 09

bookshelves: jane-austen, pride-and-prejudice
Read in January, 2007

This story will take you on an emotional rollar coaster. This is one of the many Pride and Prejudice possibilities, the author basically changes SOME of the plot of Jane Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice. I liked this one because it was so down to earth and realistic.

The sceanrio: Darcy just proposed to Elizabeth for the first time, she is about to refuse him and they get interupted by Col. Fitzwilliam. She never gets around to rejecting him and ends up marrying him because of a complication. Instead of Elizabeth and Darcy going through their issue and marrying at the end of the novel, Abigail Reynolds posses a What-if scenario of Darcy and Elizabeth marrying before going through their issues. The story has a lot of emotional turns. You will not want to put it down because you become so involoved with the story.

My favorite thing about it is how realistic and raw everyone's emotions were. No one is perfect and in the literary world we tend to idolize our heros and heroines a little too much. It is a nice change to see them feel insecure, embarrassed, or misunderstood. It helps put your own life in perspective.

It is not written in the style of Jane Austen. Abigail Reynolds has a style all her own. MY only complaint would be that she tends to use a words too often every now and then, live "she had to school herself." I believe that Jane would be diverted by this intersting take on her novel and I hope you will too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Man in The World.