Lori Spier's Reviews > Season of the Wolf

Season of the Wolf by Jeffrey J. Mariotte

Dec 11, 2012

bookshelves: thriller, kindle
Read from December 08 to 12, 2012

A supernatural thriller/horror, Season of the Wolf takes place in the mountain town of Silver Gap, Colorado. It's a place where everyone has secrets, and those secrets aren't always that well kept.

It's a Nature vs Man story - man has created the conditions that force a response from Nature. That response is bone chilling in the extreme. You begin to wonder just what other surprises may be lurking out in the little traveled wilderness.

There's a lot of characters to keep track of, but none of them are "filler" characters. The characters, primarily Alex, grow and evolve throughout the progression of the story - something I feel is important. After all, who wants to read a book where you can predict the main characters' every action?

There's blood and gore but, since I tend to read zombie fiction, it wasn't extreme to me. Those who are used to kindler, gentler novels may find the gore a bit off-putting.

The pacing in the beginning was a bit slow for my tastes, however at about the 45% mark it picked up and took off. After that point, I could barely put the book down, reading the last half in under a day.

I could hear echos of Steven King and Dean Koontz while reading Season of the Wolf and, for this genre, there's no better praise than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Season of the Wolf.