Catherine's Reviews > The Everything New Teacher Book: Increase Your Confidence, Connect with Your Students, and Deal with the Unexpected

The Everything New Teacher Book by Melissa Kelly

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, manual, teaching, gift
Read from July 04 to August 21, 2011

When I started the book, I found myself wondering who exactly the audience for this book is: A lot of the beginning felt like a watered-down rehash of my education courses, and most people winding up in the classroom will have taken these courses. As I continued reading, the book began to offer some useful pointers. Unfortunately, the useful bits are heavily padded with generalities and unnecessary verbiage. I don't know how many times the author writes "The fact is..." I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the format the book has to follow as part of the "Everything" manual series, which wants to produce a 300+ page book on every conceivable topic. Outside of that series, the ideas in here would have taken a third of the space and time. I feel like Melissa Kelly was done a disservice: she does seem to have a fair number of good ideas and tips. I'm curious about what is on the cd offered with the new edition.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Everything New Teacher Book.

07/26/2011 page 75