Gina's Reviews > White Witch, Black Curse

White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison

Feb 28, 2009

bookshelves: own, action, fantasy, mystery, mystery-detective, paranormal-supernatural, suspense, urban-fantasy, up-for-contest
Recommended for: urban fantasy-paranormal lovers!
Read in February, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Fast-paced, plot twists and witty humor, unputdownable from start to finish.

**SPOILER ALERT**THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Rachel can’t take it anymore. She needs to know who killed Kisten. Her determination leads her back to the boat with her psychiatrist, Ford, who is trying to help her remember what happened that day. Ivy’s investigation is going nowhere, and Rachel is determined to get a new lead. She remembers a thing or two and can’t wait to get back to Ivy to tell her what she remembered. But as they leave the boat, Ford receives a phone call. While investigating a case on the side, Glenn was badly beaten and left for dead. And his stepfather, Captain Edden of the FIB, is asking for Vampiric Charms for help. And while she’s accused of having no crime scene etiquette, Rachel’s unconventional methods find clues that crime scene techs missed, and blows the case wide open.

For banshees are what Glenn had encountered. A human couldn’t have beaten him so badly without the use of a weapon. And to make matters worse, a banshee child is part of the case. Banshees drain energy and emotions, and if they latch on, can literally kill a person by draining their life source.

Emotions ride high as Rachel’s brother, Robbie, comes to town to visit - and brought news with him: he’s getting married.

And the roller coaster doesn’t stop there. Rachel is nearly killed more than once, a ghost named Pierce is back from her past, Al is up to his usual tricks, Ivy not only blames herself for Kisten’s death but for their new banshee problem, Rachel is being called a Black Witch and is shunned, and now her mother is moving to Portland, then her full memory of what happened on Kisten’s boat comes back. Can things get any worse?

** An emotional roller coaster to say the least.

Rachel is one hell of a character. Strong, she pushes herself to the max to do what is right, what is necessary, regardless of what happens to her. And no matter how she plans it, the repercussions come back to bite her in the ass, leaving her to defend herself, all while no one is listening.

Emotions roll right through the reader. Ms. Harrison writes it in such a way that you feel it, feel everything, that the characters feel, whether it’s guilt, desperation, determination, you feel it all.

Filled with mystery, action, suspense and emotions, White Witch, Black Curse is more than your typical roller coaster ride with characters that you love - and love to hate. Descriptions so clear and concise, you feel everything, see everything. In my opinion, her best book yet!

****And I’m going to make this interesting. Now, everyone who knows me knows I don’t buy hardcover - too expensive, and I’ve already planned on buying the paperback for my collection. However, I got this copy to read and review, along with the T-Shirt and Tomato-seed packet for the contest. I’m upping the contest. Would you like my copy of White Witch, Black Curse? Don’t forget to email me daily at bookaholicsreview@hotmail.com for a chance to win one of the three items up for grabs! The contest runs from now until March 31st.****
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Witch, Black Curse.

02/25/2009 page 3
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Holy Tinks! I didn't realize this was out already. Yeah!!!