Kristen's Reviews > The Well of Shades

The Well of Shades by Juliet Marillier

Aug 18, 2007

bookshelves: drama, fantasy, historical-fiction, paganism
Read in August, 2007

Currently about half way through this one. Thus far, it gets 4 stars from me. I don't know exactly what it is about Juliet Marillier's book, but they ALL resonate with me. I love her writing style. It's descriptive, rich and evocative without being overblown and pretentious. I identify with at least one character, and the same is true here. I find Eile's plight to be foreign and yet somehow still familiar, and I sympathize with her. Faolan's character just keeps getting deeper and more complex, moreso even than Bridei or Tuala's characters did in the previous two books in this series.

EDIT: Now that I've finished this one, I give it a full 5 stars. Again, I just really identify with Marillier's books. She creates characters I honestly care about. I think Faolan was my favorite character of the Bridei Chronicles, and so I was delighted to see that he got a whole book of his own. I also loved Eile. She's strong and broken, vulnerable and pragmatic. One of the best characters I've encountered yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well of Shades.