Alison's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Jun 09, 08

bookshelves: alltime100novel, modernlibrary100best
Recommended for: should be required reading for living
Read in November, 2007

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

"Fatalism is commonly referred to as "the doctrine that all events are subject to fate or inevitable predetermination."

I have always heard of this book and have avoided it because I thought it would be boring and political. I couldn't have been more wrong. It speaks volumes politically, yes, and is a first hand account of war from an American POW in Germany (the bombing of Dresden in WWII to be exact). However, the mechanism of story-telling--via one man's ability to jump through time and visit different parts of his life (war, marriage, death) as well as recounting being abducted by aliens--is ingeniuous, casual, funny, philosphical and tragic all at once.

War. Why do we insist on fighting? Will we ever evolve to a point where we can resolve conflicts peacefully? It's a pointless debate claims Mr. Vonnegut. Life happens, people die...we're powerless to change it, and it's silly to fight it (the forces that work against us...and the battles). Life, death, war...they're tragic (and as absurd as being taken by aliens)yet--inevitable.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.