Adriana's Reviews > The Summer I Turned Pretty

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Aug 17, 09

bookshelves: ya-friendship, ya-romance, ya-self-identity, ya-social-situations
Read in August, 2009

This is one of my favorites of this year so far, and I would even say of all of the teen books I've read so far. I really enjoyed Shug by Han as well, so the writing again was great, as well as the characterizations and the flow of the story. Belly (or Isabel) has been going to the beach house every summer since she can remember. Summers are always the same, yet each year brings new changes that leave great impressions on Belly. Along with Belly, are her brother, her mom, her mom's best friend, and her mom's best friend's two sons, Jeremiah and Conrad. Belly has had a crush on Conrad for years, but he has always been the kind of boy that seems unattainable. Jeremiah on the other hand has always been sweet and loveable, in a friend-sort-of-way. The summer when she turns pretty is when most of the story takes place, but there are also chapters that flashback to other summers. I just really loved the romance and how the author really captures Belly's thoughts, concerns, and her love for Conrad, the beach house, and everything associated with her summers. After I finished I didn't know that the book was the first in a planned trilogy, so I'm very excited to know that I will get to read more about Belly and her summers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer I Turned Pretty.