Amy Pilkington's Reviews > White Oleander

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

F_50x66
Feb 25, 09

My favorite book of all time! Have read it like 12 times. So beautifully written the imagery seeps of the page and echoes in your brain long after you have closed the pages. I know that I am perhaps the only one that notices this but I am deeply enamored with the way Janet (the author, when you have read a book more than a dozen times you get to call the author by their first name) constructs sentences, I can't help but notice her grammar, sentence fluency, and word choice. The way she can write sentences that don’t start with a subject without it feeling like work means she puts a lot of work into her writing. She is my author idol! A aspire to be half this good someday. Her characters are stronger than life, my favorite part about this book is that it makes me see the kids a work with differently. Because all of the crazy, illogical actions of the characters in the make complete sense when Janet puts them in this context. It will make you cry and rethink all your opinions about troubled teenagers and the American foster care system. A MUST READ!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Oleander.