The Flooze's Reviews > Storm Born

Storm Born by Richelle Mead

Jul 01, 09

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, vanquished_2009, owned
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

From the very first paragraph, Storm Born establishes itself as different and amusing. Eugenie has numerous trials to face, but she handles herself with just the right mix of stubbornness and practicality. As she wends her way through the tangled world of gentry politics and magic, her preconceptions are challenged time and again. The end result is a lesson in abolishing expectations and learning to accept real truths, not just the ones that fit your personal viewpoint.

The characters, though likable, are somewhat flat. I'm hoping their personalities become stronger as the series continues. The heroine's big secret was rather obvious from the get-go.

(Throughout the book, I saw shades of Anita Blake and Merry Gentry: Anita in Eugenie's indomitable warrior nature, her champion status, and her need to reevaluate the "monsters" surrounding her; Merry in the description of Fae powers and sexual preferences, and in the focus on procreation.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Born.

06/28/2009 page 25
6.93% "Who knew sneakers could be haunted?" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stav let me know what you think of this...if you want, I have it and CAN lend it to you.

The Flooze Not s good idea. I don't return things to people. If library doesn't have it, I'll hit you up.

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH You know, I agree with your review. I was feeling shades of LKH and Merry Gentry as well as Kim Harrison's Hollows - like Rachel who was constantly banishing demons and spirits.

The Flooze I still haven't read the Hollows yet! There are such mixed reviews on them. Seems you either love or hate them.

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I loved them. You may not like Rachel, but the secondary characters are really great. Jenks, the pixie, is so funny and fierce.

The Flooze I own the first two, so eventually they will be read!