Jenny's Reviews > The Shining

The Shining by Stephen King

2067801
Mar 04, 2009

Read in March, 2009

I am a huge Stephen King fan, and I had somehow put off reading this book for a long time. I was not disappointed!

People say that King's writing is clunky and that his endings suck, but I can't agree with that. Yes, this is an early book and he falls into the occasional cliche or bad metaphor, but I actually found the ending satisfying.

I think that King occasionally creates unrealistic little kid characters (wise WAY beyond their years), but I found Danny to be believable as a 5 year old. He was clearly rendered as a scared, confused kid whose special abilities didn't give him all the answers. Honestly, I was expecting that Danny would be able to use his powers to hurt the thing in the hotel, but was almost relieved when King didn't go that route, allowing Danny to remain more innocent. I have to say that I am always most impressed by King's character development (along with his dialogue), and was happy to find that this book was no exception. I thought the character of Jack Torrance was very well done--he was terrifying but believable and had considerable depth.

I would definitely rank this book among my favorite Stephen King novels!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shining.

02/25/2009 page 40