Vickie's Reviews > Ghost Road Blues

Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry

Mar 19, 09

bookshelves: booksthatmakemegowow
Read in March, 2009

aka, the book that wouldn't end....All I can say is I am glad Jonathan Maberry is such an amazing writer or I'd have given up a long time ago. The book is 472 pages, but felt longer and I'm not sure why. It felt like quicksand, just no progress as I read. I know I read my purse books a lot more slowly since I don't get the time I used to. So that may be part of it. I also really liked reading the fight scenes. Maberry can write a kick-ass fight scene.
I tried making it my bedside book, but I immediately began having whacked the hell out dreams afterward, so that was a quick exchange with whatever I was reading three bedside books ago....yep, that's how long this one took.
It is labeled horror and it is, but it is mostly a thriller of a small town gone bad in surprising little pockets, voices in the cranium, lynching, killers, the grotesque.
The horror is there, sneaking around the edges until well into the last fourth of the book.
The small town of Pine Deep, Pennsylvania is suffering from the worst crop blight in recent history. Their claim to fame is the renowned Halloween celebration in the 'Spookiest Town in America'. Everyone is coming, including an ancient evil that everyone thought long gone. It was last seen 30 years ago and everyone thought it long dead. It's returned.
This is the first in a trilogy and I am on the lookout for the second, DEAD MAN'S SONG.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Road Blues.