Lobstergirl's Reviews > It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life

Jan 23, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: own, memoir
Read in March, 2009

There is no more remarkable story of surviving cancer than Lance Armstrong's, and perhaps there is no better athlete in history. His rise from poverty and being raised by a young single mother is quite impressive too. But I have to give his memoir 2 stars, because

1) He's such a cocky son of a bitch. Really, it gets quite annoying.

2) He couldn't keep his marriage and family intact, especially after putting his wife through the IVF, twice. Before they even began dating, she was concerned about his reputation as a "player." I guess she was right to be. Check out how she's the spitting image of his mother, 20 years younger.

3) I don't think Lance is telling any big whoppers, but you do get the sense that some (many) of his anecdotes are embellished, crafted, varnished, just a little. This tends to happen when people are great storytellers, as he is. I saw him on Charlie Rose several years ago and he was riveting. I could have listened to him for hours. In the book, ghostwritten by Sally Jenkins, these anecdotes are perfect little packages tied up with bows.

I do think he makes a valuable point in the epilogue, that the point - of cancer, of any struggle, of life - is not to be a survivor, but to be a fighter. I'd also like to see new photos in any subsequent editions, of all the blond women he's dated - Sheryl Crow, Kate Hudson, Tory Burch, the new one - I'm sure I'm leaving out dozens.
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not About the Bike.

02/25/2009 page 40
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen I love your style.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Yeah, what Stephen said/wrote.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken OK, stupid question: What does "IVF" stand for?

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Newengland wrote: "OK, stupid question: What does "IVF" stand for?"

Can stand for intra-venous fluids, but here I would imagine it's in vitro fertilization.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken Oh. TFT. (Thanks for that.)

Lobstergirl Stephen wrote: "I love your style."

Tks (thanks).

Lobstergirl Newengland wrote: "OK, stupid question: What does "IVF" stand for?"

In vitro fertilization. When Lance found out he had cancer, he had sperm banked because the chemotherapy would have killed it all off, or most of it.

His newest baby, however, was conceived naturally.

Cyanemi I also noticed how he picked women that looked like his mother-creepy. My review was also not favorable.

Angie So really the review is not of the book, but of his personal life, right? You kind of missed the point. Did you like the book? Or do you just want to pass judgement using the book review to do so? Whether I like the guy or not, the book was moving and well written. It was a good read that made me think about my priorities. Worth reading.

Lobstergirl No, the review is of the book. When I wrote "He's such a cocky son of a bitch. Really, it gets quite annoying" I was referring to the book. His attitude and the way he talks about himself, in the book. Also see my third point. I guess you didn't read the review very carefully.

message 11: by Pablo (new) - rated it 1 star

Pablo Paz nice review

Lobstergirl Thanks!

message 13: by Red (new) - rated it 3 stars

Red Heaven Plenty of better athletes out there, and many who didn't take performance enhancing drugs. Armstrong (doping) wouldn't crack the top 50.