Jeffrey's Reviews > Detroit City Is the Place to Be: The Afterlife of an American Metropolis

Detroit City Is the Place to Be by Mark Binelli

Dec 26, 12

Read from December 10 to 25, 2012

While this book was interesting, it didn't delve into topics as deeply as I would have liked. Instead, it hit on a multitude of different factors that limit Detroit's recovery. I liked how Binelli touched on both current events and historical factors that make Detroit what it is today. Binelli further shows how the Big 3 have been limiting for Detroit for a century. Well worth the read to become oriented to Detroit today.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Detroit City Is the Place to Be.

12/10/2012 page 9
12/10/2012 page 62
20.0% "The book is a little disjointed. Went from the 1860's to 2010 by going from chapter 2 to chapter 3."
12/15/2012 page 107
35.0% "The book is informative, yet scary. I find myself learning a great deal about Detroit, but most of it is worse than I'd ever believed."
12/24/2012 page 253
84.0% "I'm nearing the end of this book, and while it's been a fascinating read, it's left me feeling more helpless about the city I work in every day. Every chapter tells of another woe, and it leaves me feeling hopeless."

Claudia Would you like me to return your copy? I can bring it the next time we are both at book club.

Jeffrey No need. Keep it, sell it, give it away. I won't reread the book.

Claudia Thanks!