Ryan's Reviews > Lud-in-the-Mist

619244
Feb 24, 2009

did not like it
Read in March, 2009

The people of Lud-in-the-Mist enjoy their steady, structured lives, and fear the mystical stories of the mischievous Faeries who live in the West, and especially fear the influence of their magical Fairy Fruit, which can supposedly turn the most able-minded citizen who eats it into a poetic, quixotic, and babbling lunatic. When the Mayor of Lud-in-the-Mist, Master Nathaniel Chanticleer, discovers that his own son has eaten this forbidden fairy fruit, he must unravel the mystery of how this contraband is making its way into his town, and confront the very things he fears most as he tries to save his son's soul. As I read the description of the book, including Neil Gaiman's introduction, I really had hope I'd love this story.

However, I'll most remember this book by its fantastical character names: Nathaniel Chanticleer, his wife Marigold and daughter Prunella, the esteemed Dr. Endymion Leer, Master Ambrose Honeysuckle and his daughter Moonlove, Miss Primrose Crabapple, Polydore Vigil, Diggory Carp, and more. Amazingly, this really detracted from my reading experience, as it just didn't make these characters seem real to me. The setting, the story, the characters, and even the writing all had a hazy, lazy dream-like quality to them; and like dreams, I often found myself not really knowing what was going on, or why. An interesting but disappointing read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lud-in-the-Mist.

02/24/2009 page 44
18.41% "He ate Fairy Food!!!"