Nely's Reviews > Shoot the Moon

Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts

Feb 24, 2009

Read in April, 2009

In 1972, the town of DeClare, Oklahoma, was consumed by a terrifying crime - Gaylene Harjo a teenaged single mother was brutally murdered and her 10 month old son Nicky Jack Harjo has disappeared. Nicky Jack’s pajama bottoms were found on the banks of Willow Creek and nothing was heard of him for nearly 30 years.

Shortly after his father’s death, Mark Albright finds documents revealing he was adopted. He always felt that he never fit in and was somewhat of an outcast, yet he followed in his father’s footsteps and became a successful veterinarian to the stars pets in Beverly Hills.

In search of his roots, Mark traces his biological mother to the town of DeClare where sadly he is informed of her untimely death and his mysterious disappearance. Befriending some of the local townsfolk and some of his long lost relatives, he reopens Gaylene’s murder case, making him the "talk of the town" but also placing him in danger since someone doesn’t want this case to be investigated any further.

Shoot the Moon is full of the authentic heartland characters that Billie Letts writes about so beautifully. This book is a fun, light read with some neat and quirky characters, suspense and even romance. I will admit it wasn’t as predictable as I thought since I was sure I knew "whodunnit" and was thrown for a loop when I found out who really "dunnit". It did have too neat an ending but it was still very enjoyable - if you don't want to think too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shoot the Moon.