The Flooze's Reviews > Gil's All Fright Diner

Apr 09, 09

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, vanquished_2009, owned
Recommended for: Christopher Moore fans
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

Martinez's debut novel is a wild ride, at once horrific and hysterical. Despite what I've been taught, I judged this one by its cover and it lived up to my every zany expectation.

Earl, a scrawny vampire, and Duke, a hulking werewolf, stop off at a roadside diner for a bite, only to become entangled in a web of dark magic where things bite back. But zombie cows, cemetery guardians, ghostly dogs and spirits that reside in Magic 8 Balls aren't enough to deter this duo from doing their best to prevent Armageddon.

Martinez has a knack for creating likable monsters, endowing them with unfailing wit and determination, as well as unerring insight into the workings of the world. The human cast of characters includes the diner's owner Loretta (who's a whole lotta woman), Sheriff Kopp (a man who has watched sheep spontaneously combust and therefore is used to the peculiar), and Tammy, a Lolita of a sorceress whose evil work is never done.

Through these characters, and some Pig Latin, Martinez delivers a fast-paced tale where a hick vampire and a trucker werewolf rise to the challenge, charming us with their sense of duty. You'll laugh out loud as you cheer on Duke and Earl in their ferocious fight against the evil under the fridge.

Prepare for Armageddon-read every Martinez book you can get your hands on!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gil's All Fright Diner.

Quotes The Flooze Liked

“Reality is like a fruitcake; pretty enough to look at but with all sorts of nasty things lurking just beneath the surface.”
A. Lee Martinez, Gil's All Fright Diner

“In the middle of nowhere, along a quiet stretch of road, the diner dreamt of the hungry dead. And of two men.”
A. Lee Martinez, Gil's All Fright Diner

04/06/2009 page 1
0.37% "I have such high expectations for this one. Be funny! Make me snort out loud, A. Lee Martinez!"
04/07/2009 page 53
19.78% "Zombie cows. Priceless. "Mo-o-o-o-o-o-oo.""
04/07/2009 page 136
50.75% "Anomalous Phenomena Attraction: Weird shit pulls in more weird shit."