Natalie's Reviews > Love, Work, Children: A Novel

Love, Work, Children by Cheryl Mendelson

Sep 08, 07

bookshelves: lighter
Read in August, 2007

I think I also read Mendelsohn's earlier book set in Morningside Heights (of that title I think). She's very interested in the cultural dynamics of that neighborhood, which is oddly familiar and repellent to me -- I'm no New Yorker but I grew up in a college town that prides itself as an oasis of culture much as her version of MH does -- the economics of MH vs a big-10 college town are completely different, but that makes it interesting. However, her interest in cultural capital tends to take precedence over her interest in people -- I found many of the characters confusing to keep track of at first, although that did get easier over time. I was about halfway through when a friend mentioned to me her love of Mendelsohn's book on housekeeping -- which then made her attention to such matters within the novel make much more sense. Interiors reflect class and culture -- but that's not a new perspective. You could read James or Wharton and get more fully realised characters along with the social analysis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Work, Children.