Jenny's Reviews > Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Mar 01, 09

bookshelves: 1001-books, fiction, read-in-2009
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

I'm sorry to say that I found this book just plain odd! It got off to a good start. I loved the way each chapter started with a recipe.

Tita is in love with Pedro but as she is the youngest daughter she is not alowed to marry. She must look after her mother until her dying day. Pedro marries Tita's sister, Rosaura, to stay closer to her. I was fine with all this. I was fine with the elements of fantasy, to start with, but when Gertrudis is so hot that she sets the shower on fire and runs through the field naked just to be swept away by some random man Esquivel had lost me!

Don't even get me started on the ending! I've read a couple of latin-american style books and we don't gel. I think I will be avoiding them in the future. I'm all for a Romeo & Juliet storyline but it needs to remain reasonably plausible for me to appreciate it.
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Water for Chocolate.

02/25/2009 page 45
20.09% "I love the way this book is written. Not sure about the story yet though!"
show 1 hidden update…