Nathan Eilers's Reviews > That Hideous Strength

That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis

Apr 08, 09

bookshelves: christianity, sci-fi, fiction
Read in April, 2009

4.5 stars. If you would have told me that a book that merges Arthurian legend, science fiction, and Christianity would be a good book, I'd have been incredulous. Leave it to C.S. Lewis to make it work, and work very well. I'm convinced that Lewis is one of the most underrated authors of the 20th Century b/c everyone thinks of him as the Narnian; he is much more.

This one takes a while to develop, but it is worth the wait. Lewis' story throws a lot of light on how humanity deludes itself to believing the exact opposite of reality. The N.I.C.E. is a great invention. I loved all the Christianity/philosophy in here, and the story was gripping at times. There was even some humor in here. Great capper to the space trilogy, and a good read in its own right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Hideous Strength.

03/30/2009 page 51
13.35% "Just discovering the link to the earlier 2 book of the trilogy. I can tell this will be good."
03/30/2009 page 51
13.35% "Just discovering the link to the earlier 2 books of the triology. Should be good."
04/02/2009 page 122
31.94% "Slowly unfolding. Definitely has aspects of Brave New World, which is great. Think I'm about to re-encounter Ransom."
04/06/2009 page 314
82.2% "If you had told me of what this book consists, I would have said this book would suck. Instead, it is excellent."