Brendan's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Dec 09, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, psychology
Read in December, 2012

The Power of Habit provides a glimpse into human tendency for repetitive, predictable behavior. Through dozens of fascinating stories ranging from individual gambling addiction to corporate schemes that lure customers, Duhigg draws parallels between each case and posits that the "habit cycle" is comprised of three primary steps: cues, routines and rewards.

I opened this book hoping to learn how to achieve total control over my own habits -- how to eliminate bad ones and cultivate good ones -- and while I didn't find enlightenment, I came away with a clearer sense of self-awareness. I can now identify the habits that permeate my day-to-day life and define my being. Perhaps with very careful attention to detail I can, as Duhigg suggests, identify the cues that trigger my worst habits and shift the routine, ultimately leading to a different reward.

I would recommend the Power of Habit to anyone who possesses a simple curiosity around the human psychology and how it works. The book won't revolutionize one's beliefs, but it will shed some new light on a subject many of us have habitually taken for granted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.