Robin's Reviews > If I Stay

Dec 26, 09

bookshelves: best-of-2009
Read in April, 2009

Even though I have alredy sent this, I am updating for my Best of 2009 list:

After an accident that kills the rest of her family, Mia finds herself outside of her body, watching herself struggle to survive in the hospital. As she reflects on her past life she must decide whether she stays or goes, knowing that choosing life will be difficult. A couple of tissues will be needed but this is an excellent teen novel about families and the ties that bind.

More from previous review:

WOW, I loved this powerful story and think any teen worth her angst-ridden soul will too. One snowy day in Oregon, Mia's family is involved in an auto accident that kills everyone except Mia, who watches from afar as her broken body is rescued by paramedics. She continues watching while her body fights for life in the ICU unit of the hospital while various friends and family stand vigil by her bedside. During this time she reflects on her life as a classical musician and also on the contentious relationship with her boyfriend, a rock musician. She comes to the realization that she must decide whether to bring herself back to consciousness, knowing continuing with her life will be difficult, or whether she takes the easy way out and leaves. This is an excellent book about the ties that bind with friends and family, but be forewarned, you will need a tissue or two at the end.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.