Irene's Reviews > Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail: Can a Punk Rock Legend Find What Monty Python Couldn't?

Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail by Christopher Dawes

Aug 27, 07

Read in August, 2007

I strangely LOVED this book, strangely because it is nothing I would ever really think about reading, and in fact only picked it up because it was about Rat Scabies, and I can never resist a book about a rockstar. While I never read the Da Vinci code, the movie didn't hold my interest and the only attention I've ever paid to secret societies was that episode of the Simpsons when Homer joins the Stonecutters. Somehow this book though drew me in right away. The author, Christopher Dawes (who used to write for Melody Maker and interviewed loads of rockstars in the 90's) lives across the street from Rat Scabies, former drummer of The Damned. They become friends, and Scabies eventually fills him in on the mystery of Sauniere, a 19th century priest in the south of France who had a mysterious fortune, that was perhaps tied to two documents the priest discovered in the church. Scabies and Dawes become increasingly interested in the mystery, and take several trips to Rennes-le-Chateau and other locations of importance to the priest's story to do some investigating of their own. While the mystery and all the conspiracy theories and esoteric ideas that go along with it make up the bulk of this book, it is also a buddy story, complete with arguments, accidents, and loads of booze. A quick, light read, and definitely recommended for anyone looking for a good diversion.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail.