Michael's Reviews > Prodigal Summer

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

Feb 23, 09

Read in May, 2006

I’ve read and enjoyed all of Barbara Kingsolver’s novels but “Prodigal Summer” stands out for me. The opening lines promise that you’re going on a journey into the minds of memorable characters: “Her body moved with the frankness that comes from solitary habits. But solitude is only a human presumption.” What follows doesn’t disappoint.

Three parallel stories unfold of characters quite unalike on the surface and yet connected in deeper ways that resonate profoundly. It would have been easy – and predictable – to have their stories wind together as the novel progresses. But Kingsolver chooses to let the undercurrents reverberate while the storylines continue in their own direction. In the end their paths brush lightly against one another speaking, I think, of the bonds that connect us all but leave us to make our own connections in our own time.

Anyone who finds solace in nature will find this novel irresistible. Kingsolver pays tribute to the natural world while quietly testifying that we can either live in communion with it or contribute to its demise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigal Summer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new) - added it

Jessie Tyson Damn it Micheal, I love nature. This means I have to put this book on my to read list as well. Although I don't have much time for anything these days, so I'll have to shoot the damned TV and the internet as well..ha.

Jessie

Michael Jessie:

Sorry to add to your busy schedule. But you won't regret making time for this book. Trust me on that.

Michael